What is a Car Wrap?
A car wrap is a fairly new customization technique for vehicles where sheets of vinyl are applied to the painted surfaces of the car. In the past, it was used primarily for commercial vehicles as a way to advertise the company's logo and services. Today, however, car wrapping is used in a variety of situations, and has become increasingly popular in the consumer market as an alternative to traditional paint and the more recent plasti-dip or liquid wrap products.
While car wrapping is still a popular choice for businesses, more and more consumers are choosing car wrapping as an affordable, reversible, and relatively easy way to customize and change the color of their vehicle.
What are the benefits of a car wrap?
Wrapping your car will provide many benefits for you and your vehicle:
• Cost-efficient: Car wraps are an investment, but they also significantly cheaper than a custom paint or other methods of vehicle customization at a reputable shop.
• Vehicle protection: Wrapping your car, truck, or SUV will protect the expensive OEM paint underneath the vinyl material. From harsh UV rays and paint damaging elements to rock chips and sand, vinyl wrap will provide a durable layer of protection for your vehicles paint.
• Reversible: Car wraps are completely reversible! Unlike a custom paint job which requires sanding your factory paint and applying new paint over the top, vinyl wraps are removable with little risk of damaging the paint underneath.
• Enhance your vehicle's appearance: Car wraps come in a huge selection of colors, textures, patterns and finishes. When a wrap is applied by a professional installer, only a trained eye will be able to tell that the vehicle is wrapped in vinyl. The finish of the final product will look exactly like an expensive new paint job. In addition, paint has limitations for customization. With a car wrap you can choose finishes like matte, satin, color changing, camo, even carbon fiber!
• Versatility: Car wraps provide options where traditional paint is not an option. For example, most vehicle leases will not allow you to change the vehicle's paint color. Because a car wrap is removable, they provide an excellent way to customize the vehicle without violating the lease agreement or warranty.
• Maintain your vehicle's resale value: Because car wraps protect the paint underneath from dings and scratches, the resale value of the vehicle stays intact. While a worn finish can dramatically decrease the value when you decide to sell or trade-in your vehicle, you can simply remove the car wrap and your vehicle looks like the day you bought it.
• Advertising: Businesses love car wraps because they are a cost-efficient way to reach new customers. As a bonus, using your company vehicle for advertising is a less intrusive way to reach customers than some other forms of advertisement, such as commercials interrupting your favorite TV program!
How are car wraps installed?
With car wrapping, large sheets of pressure-sensitive sheets of vinyl are applied to the vehicle using a heat gun and a steady hand. The vinyl is cut away from the windows, door jambs, and trim detail using professional techniques as not to cut or scratch your factory paint. The result is a smooth car wrap finish on only the painted services. The finished vehicle wrap is securely adhered to the vehicle with no air bubbles or gaps remaining.
What types of car wraps are available?
Wraps are so popular because they're available in a wide range of colors, finishes, and designs. You can choose to have your vehicle wrapped in just about any color or finish your heart desires. Many vehicle owners choose a unique color or finish to showcase their own personality, while others opt for a simple color change for the vehicle like a matte or satin black.
What is the difference between a color change wrap and a business graphics wrap?
Color change wraps are used to change the color of your vehicle. Business graphics wraps are used by companies to advertise the business, usually including the company's logo, contact information, or services - or a combination of this information. Color change wraps are more commonly used by individual consumers, while business graphics wraps are almost exclusively ordered by businesses.
Oftentimes, a company ordering a vehicle wrap doesn't want to change the color of the entire vehicle. Thankfully there are partial wrap options which may only cover parts of the vehicle. For example, the company may want a simple logo on the hood or door of the vehicle. Color change wraps, by contrast, almost always cover the entire vehicle, though it is possible to customize the look to your individual preference such as a simple roof or hood wrap for contrast.
Why should you choose a car wrap over a custom paint job?
In the past, if you wanted to change the color of your vehicle, your only option was to have the entire vehicle sanded, prepped, and repainted requiring hundreds of skilled labor hours. With a color change wrap, you accomplish the same goal without any of the downsides of a complete paint job.
Custom paint jobs are usually much more expensive than a car wrap, and the prep work and cleanup take a lot more time, leaving you without a vehicle for longer. By contrast, many car wraps can be applied in a few days.
Imperfect custom paint jobs are also a possibility, even when performed by professionals. Paint is more unpredictable than a car wrap, and over-spray or paint gaps are fairly common. There may also be issues with the clear coat peeling, and the paint must be mixed perfectly to achieve the desired color. Due to the nature of vinyl and its application, car wraps almost always have a smooth, even finish.
In addition, car wraps leave more room for customization than even a custom paint job. The color selection is vast, and car wraps are available in a wide range of finishes, such as matte, chromium, etc. It's easy to see why car wraps are quickly becoming the popular choice for a vehicle color change.
Apex Customs offers a complete line of vehicle wraps at our Phoenix and Tempe Arizona locations. For a customized quote for your vehicle, simply fill out and submit a quote request today!