CLASSIC CAR SERVICES
TEMPE, AZ | PHOENIX, AZ
Classic Car Service
by Apex Customs
Owning a classic car can be a dream come true for many people. The timeless beauty and rich history of these vehicles are hard to resist. However, classic cars require a certain level of care and maintenance to keep them running smoothly. So let’s discuss how Apex Customs can help keep your classic car in top shape.
Brakes are one of the essential components of a vehicle, and classic cars are no exception. Over time, the brake pads, rotors, and calipers can wear out and must be replaced. Classic car owners should have their brakes inspected regularly to ensure they are in good working condition. Signs that your brakes may need to be replaced include a soft or spongy brake pedal, grinding or squeaking noises, or the car pulling to one side when you apply the brakes. Many of the older vehicles may have been deemed safe when they were new but there are many brake upgrades available for classics that can keep you and your vehicle safe on the road.
Regular oil changes are important for any car but vital for classic cars. The oil in classic cars breaks down faster than in modern cars, so changing it more frequently is important. Classic car owners should change their oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, depending on the age and condition of the car. When choosing an oil for your classic car, it's important to choose one specifically designed for older engines. Modern oils contain detergents that can harm the seals and gaskets in older engines. At Apex Customs, we use oils labeled as "high-zinc" or "zinc-rich," as these oils contain the additives that older engines need.
Regular tune-ups are also essential for classic cars. A tune-up involves inspecting and replacing the spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor and adjusting the timing and idle speed. Tune-ups can improve the performance and fuel efficiency of your classic car. Classic car owners should have their vehicles tuned up every 10,000 to 12,000 miles, depending on the age and condition of the car. At Apex Customs, we have the equipment and knowledge to work on carbureted engines with older ignition systems.
The transmission is another central component of a classic car. Over time, the transmission fluid can become dirty or contaminated, which can cause the transmission to shift poorly or fail altogether. Classic car owners should have their transmissions serviced regularly to ensure they are in good working condition.
Cooling System Service
The cooling system is another critical classic car component… especially here in Arizona. Over time, the coolant can become contaminated or lose its effectiveness, which can cause the engine to overheat. Classic car owners should have their cooling systems regularly serviced to ensure they are in good working condition. Cooling system service typically involves flushing the old coolant and replacing it with new coolant. The frequency of the cooling system service will depend on the age and condition of the car.
A classic car's electrical system is much simpler than a newer car. This should make it easier to keep in good working order, but the truth is that many modern mechanics just don't have our experience in dealing with analog wiring and electronics. Here are some common services to consider:
- Battery replacement: Batteries can wear out over time and may need to be replaced periodically. Make sure to choose the right battery for your car's specific needs.
- Alternator replacement: The alternator charges the battery and powers the car's electrical system. If it fails, the car will not have sufficient electrical power. In addition, many classic cars have upgraded stereo systems, air conditioners, digital dashes, etc. that require a more powerful alternator to keep your car reliable.
Body and Paint Repairs
Maintaining the paint and body of your classic car is essential to keep it looking its best. Whether you have a show car or just want to keep your vehicle looking good, a high quality paint job and regular maintenance is critical. At Apex Customs, we have our own paint shop and can handle any amount of body work as well as custom paint matching. Here are some tips on paint and bodywork for classic cars:
- Regular washing and waxing: Washing your car regularly helps to remove dirt and grime that can damage the paint over time. Use a high-quality car wash soap and a soft sponge or mitt to avoid scratching the paint. After washing, apply a good quality wax to protect the paint from the elements.
- Ceramic Coating: If you want to keep your paint in pristine condition then ceramic coating is the way to go.
- Touch up small scratches and dents: Over time, even the best-maintained cars can develop small scratches and dents. These can be easily fixed with touch-up paint or a small body filler. It is important to address these small issues early to prevent rust from forming and spreading.
- Address rust issues: Rust is the enemy of classic cars. Once it starts, it can quickly spread and cause significant damage. If you notice any rust spots, address them immediately. Sand away the rust, apply a rust inhibitor and repaint the area to prevent the rust from coming back.
- Repaint the car when necessary: If the paint on your classic car is faded or damaged, consider repainting it. A high-quality paint job can make a big difference in the appearance and value of your vehicle.
- Consider a full restoration: If your classic car has significant body damage or rust issues, a full restoration may be necessary. This involves completely disassembling the car, repairing or replacing all damaged or rusted parts, and repainting it. While expensive, a full restoration can make your classic car look and drive like new again.
Suspension and Steering
A classic car's suspension and steering components can wear out over time, leading to a rough ride and reduced handling. Here are some common services to consider:
- Shock and strut replacement: These components help absorb bumps and keep the car's wheels in contact with the road. Worn-out shocks and struts can lead to a bumpy ride and reduced handling.
- Tie rod and ball joint replacement: These components connect the car's steering linkage to the wheels and can wear out over time, leading to loose or unstable steering.
- Wheel alignment: A car's wheels can become misaligned over time, leading to uneven tire wear and reduced handling. Getting the wheels aligned periodically can help prevent these problems.
- Steering upgrades: There is a lot of aftermarket support for many of the classic cars that will vastly improve the steering and handling of your car. Upgrading the steering system in your classic will make your vehicle more responsive, safer, and more enjoyable to drive.
A car's exhaust system plays a crucial role in its overall performance. It not only helps to reduce noise levels, but it also regulates harmful emissions. For classic cars, exhaust repairs can be essential to maintaining their original performance levels. Here are some of the most common exhaust repairs that classic car owners may need to consider:
- Replacement of Exhaust Pipes: Exhaust pipes can suffer from rust or corrosion, especially if the car has been in storage for an extended period. When the exhaust pipes become too damaged, they may need to be replaced. The replacement cost may vary depending on the type of pipes needed.
- Replacement of Mufflers: Mufflers play an essential role in reducing the car's noise levels. Over time, mufflers may become clogged or damaged, causing an increase in noise levels. Classic car owners should have their mufflers checked and replaced if necessary.
Exhaust Manifold Repairs: The exhaust manifold collects gases from the engine and directs them to the exhaust pipes. Over time, the manifold can develop cracks or leaks that may cause engine performance issues. Repairs for an exhaust manifold may include patching up cracks or replacing the entire part.
- Custom Exhaust Systems: Some classic car owners may want to upgrade their exhaust systems to improve their car's performance or achieve a particular sound. Apex Customs can help you select and install custom exhaust systems. These custom systems can range from simple muffler replacements to complete exhaust system upgrades.
Written Estimates: Upon request, Apex Customs will provide a written estimate that includes all of the services that we recommend and the cost of each service.
Owning a classic car can be a rewarding experience, but it also requires regular maintenance and care to keep it running smoothly. General automotive services such as oil changes, tune-ups, cooling system maintenance, brake services, and suspension and steering services are essential for keeping your classic car in top condition.
By choosing Apex Customs, and staying on top of regular maintenance, you can enjoy your classic car for years. Whether you're a car enthusiast or just enjoy the classic car experience, taking care of your vehicle is an important part of owning a classic car.